Grade Code

From CSUMB Data Glossary
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Grade Code is the letter grade or administrative grading symbol assigned to students graded in each course.

Where Term Appears
CSUMB Data Warehouse Dashboards:
Data Custodian
Office of the Registrar
Data Source
Source System:CMS - SA
Source Table Name:PS_GRADE_TBL
Source Field Name:CRSE_GRADE_INPUT
Census Process:No
Logical Transformation / Calculation
OBIEE Folder and Column
Folder Heading:"Grade"
Column Heading:"Grade Code"


Examples of Grade Codes include:

  • A+,A, A-
  • B+, B, B-
  • C+, C, C-
  • D+, D, D-
  • F
  • AU (Audit)
  • CR (Credit)
  • I (Incomplete Authorized)
  • IC (Incomplete Charged)
  • NC (No Credit)
  • RD (Report Delayed)
  • RP (Report in Progress)
  • W (Withdrawal)
  • WU (Withdrawal Unauthorized)

For additional information on grading policy, see the current CSUMB catalog.

See Also

Definition Source

"The grading policy of the university permits either letter grades A, B, C, D, F, with plus or minus designations, or CR/NC to represent credit/no-credit. You may request either letter graded or credit/no-credit grading, as available, unless the course has specifically been designated as graded or credit/no-credit. You may only change a grade mode through the Schedule Adjustment Period. There is no limitation regarding the number of courses that may be graded in either manner, however there may be a limit to the number of Credit/No Credit graded courses that can be applied to the degree. See the Graduation Requirements and Catalog Rights Policy for more detail [section 3.5.3]. You must earn an assessment equivalent to a letter grade of C- or better as an undergraduate student, or a B- or better as a graduate student to receive a designation of CR.

Grade Points

The following grade points are associated with each letter grade:

A+ 4.0

B+ 3.3

C+ 2.3

D+ 1.3

A 4.0

B 3.0

C 2.0

D 1.0

F 0.0

A- 3.7

B- 2.7

C- 1.7

D- 0.7

Administrative Grading Symbols

The following administrative grading symbols may be assigned for various categories of enrollment.

AU (Audit)

Enrollment as an auditor is subject to permission of the instructor and shall be permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. As an auditor, you are subject to the same fee structure as credit students and regular class attendance is expected. Once enrolled as an auditor, a student may not change to credit status unless such a change is requested during the scheduled adjustment period. A student who is enrolled for credit may not change to audit after the schedule adjustment period has expired. The AU symbol does not indicate completion of the class.

I (Incomplete Authorized)

The I symbol indicates that a portion of your required coursework has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified reasons, and that earning credit remains possible. It is your responsibility to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements which must be satisfied in order to remove an incomplete. The instructor assigns your final grade when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated.

An I must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. The limitation prevails whether or not you maintain continuous enrollment. The academic program responsible for the course maintains an official record of the written contract. If the instructor of record is no longer available, the academic program chair ensures that the instructor's obligations are fulfilled.

IC (Incomplete Charged)

The IC symbol is used if you received an authorized incomplete I and have not completed the required course work within the allowed time limit. The IC replaces the I and is counted as a failing grade for grade point average and progress point computation.

RD (Report Delayed)

The RD symbol may be used where a delay in the reporting of a grade is due to circumstances beyond your control as a student. Only the Registrar can assign this symbol, and, if assigned, it is replaced by a substantive grading symbol as soon as possible. An RD is not used in calculating grade point average or progress points.

RP (Report in Progress)

The RP symbol is used in connection with courses that extend beyond one academic term (e.g. Capstone, graduate thesis, or a long term upper-division project-based class). It indicates that work is in progress but that assignment of a final grade must await completion of additional work. Work is to be completed within one year except for graduate degree thesis work. If no final grade is reported by the instructor within the time limit established, the RP will be converted to F or NC on the academic transcript.

W (Withdrawal)

The symbol W indicates that you were permitted to withdraw from the course after the schedule adjustment period for the term with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. It carries no connotation of quality of your performance and is not used in calculating grade point average or progress points, however undergraduate students may withdraw from no more than 18 units at CSU Monterey Bay.

WU (Withdrawal Unauthorized)

The symbol WU indicates that you were enrolled, did not withdraw from the course, and failed to complete the course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluations of academic performance possible. For purposes of grade point average and progress point computation, this symbol is equivalent to an F.

Change of Grade

A change of grade may be made only in the case of a clerical or other administrative grading error. An appeal for a change of grade must be initiated by you as the student and must be approved by the instructor. Students seeking to challenge final course grades based on other grounds shall follow the policy and procedures set out in the Grade Appeal Policy."[1]


  1. CSUMB Website. Catalog. Grading Policy, Grade Appeals & Honors. Retrieved from: